Piccadilly Circus memorial fountain.
Piccadilly Circus is a central London plaza at the intersection of Regent Street, Piccadilly, Shaftesbury Avenue and Coventry Street. The area used to be surrounded by illuminated advertising hoardings on buildings, but only one building now carries them. In September 2003 Coca Cola replaced its old illuminated board with a state-of-the-art video display that curves round with the building. At the south western side of the Circus, moved from its original position in the centre, stands the Shaftesbury memorial fountain, erected in 1893 to commemorate the philanthropic works of Lord Shaftesbury. It is topped by Alfred Gilbert's winged nude statue, popularly known as Eros, although its official name is The Angel of Christian Charity. During the Second World War the statue was removed for safe keeping, when it was returned its bow was fixed pointing in the wrong direction.
Piccadilly Circus tube station is located directly beneath the intersection.
Piccadilly Circus is renowned as one of the busiest places in the world; the phrase, "it's like Piccadilly Circus", is commonly used in the UK to refer to a place or situation where many people meet. It has been said that a person who stays long enough at Piccadilly Circus will eventually bump into everyone they know.
- Tower records flagship store can be found on the west side between Regent Street and Piccadilly Road.
- Lillywhites is London's premier sports shop located on south side.
- Waterstones is largest bookshop in Europe spread over eight floors that retain much of the original 1920 building design.
- Sports cafe is a all day and late night bar/resturant that famed for showing all sports on its some 200 screens, and is located at the bottom of Haymarket next to New Zealand House.
- Tiger Tiger was the bar/resturant was the place to be seen when it opened in the late ninties. It located at the top of Haymarket.
- Cheers Bar is late night bar/club located on the bottem end of regents street.
- Onandon is recent bar/club that is located shaftsbury. Its has seven bars spread over four floors with a mix different design styles.
Piccadilly Circus is also the name of Pernilla Wahlgren's hit song from 1985.