1724Centuries: 17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- January 14 - King Philip V of Spain abdicates the throne
- February 20 - The premiere of Giulio Cesare, an Italian opera by George Frideric Handel, takes place in London.
- June 23 - Treaty of Constantinople signed. Partitioned Persia between the Ottoman Empire and Russia
- Blenheim Palace construction is completed. It is presented as a gift to the Duke of Marlborough for his involvement in the Battle of Blenheim in 1704.
- Catherine I was named czarina by Peter the Great in Russia.
- The Austrian Netherlands agree to the Pragmatic Sanction.
- Mahmud of Afghanistan goes insane.
- Pierro Orsini become Pope Benedict XIII
- Longman's, oldest publishing house in England, is founded.
- Pope Innocent XIII
- Jack Sheppard (executed)