Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are some of your favorite life hacks?
I love hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant. It's better and cheaper than apple cider vinegar. It's H2O2, basically water with an extra molecule of oxygen and when it degrades it becomes water and oxygen so it's totally safe for the environment.

The only real downside is that light breaks it down, which is good for the planet but not good for a disinfectant so it has to be kept out of light which is why it's sold in a brown bottle. You'll need a special sprayer but that can be refilled over and over.

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with
The Pheeds Kings and Queens of Content VIP Club affiliate program.

Click here to your affiliate link and get started now.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kurt's post:
  • Donna247
Like Reply
Hydrogen peroxide is one of my favs. It is also an excellent teeth whitener and much cheaper than teeth whitening products. It is safe to use.

Mix equal amounts hydrogen peroxide with water, such as 1/2 cup to 1/2 cup.

Swish this mixture around your mouth for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Stop and spit out the solution if it's hurting your mouth and try not to swallow any of the mixture.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hydrog...hitening#2
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeffery's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
I use a leaf blower to blow snow off the drive/stairs. Works great.

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with

• Jeffery
Like Reply
Learned this in Saudi Arabia. We were in a military humvee in the dessert and got stuck in sand as fine as soft snow. A caravan of camels was close by and a few of the Saudis came to our rescue.

They laid prayer rugs under our wheels. Worked like a charm.

I got stuck on ice here in Tennessee. Laid the truck's floor mats under the wheels. Worked like a charm.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeffery's post:
  • Donna247, Kurt
Like Reply
I'm not one of those doomsday preppers but I do think everyone should have a couple of weeks food, water and some basic emergency supplies.

Here's two handy things you may not have thought about...

The first is those outdoor solar lights. If your electricity goes out you can bring them in for some light at night then put them back out the next AM to recharge.

Also a roll of pallet wrap can really be useful. Pallet wrap is like industrial strength plastic sandwich wrap. It's cheap and really strong. You can use it for emergency windows in your car or home, a sling, to seal off part of a house or room, make a solar still, seal a home from hazzards, a green house and even a survival shelter.

You can get a roll of pallet wrap at Office Max, Amazon, Home Depot etc for a few bucks.

• Donna247
Like Reply
(02-24-2020, 01:13 AM)Jeffery Wrote: Learned this in Saudi Arabia. We were in a military humvee in the dessert and got stuck in sand as fine as soft snow. A caravan of camels was close by and a few of the Saudis came to our rescue.

They laid prayer rugs under our wheels. Worked like a charm.

I got stuck on ice here in Tennessee. Laid the truck's floor mats under the wheels. Worked like a charm.

I live on the side of a mountain in Colorado and have had to do that to get up the hill in front of my place. It really works well.

• Jeffery
Like Reply
My Dad built a screen covered porch on the back of his house. Every winter, 20 some odd years,  he would cover the outside of it in plastic. It kept the rain and snow out.

He was getting up there in age and asked me to help him cover it all one year. He had plastic air pallet wrap which the U.S. Air Force uses. Real tough stuff. However, I didn't know it was stored under the front porch.

Went to his home while he was at work and figured I would do it by myself and surprise him. Couldn't find his plastic wrap, so I went to Lowes and got some industrial bubble wrap. Finished the job and was putting away the ladder, etc. when he came home. He was happy in-a-way because he was the type of man that always took the initiative, yada yada.

It was a very cold week.. snow and ice. On the weekend I went to his house to dig him out. Went to the back porch and man was it warm and cozy. That bubble wrap thing really works wonders.

Another one. Solar powered phone charger. I have few that are water proof. Also have some adapters for batteries. Comes in handy when the electricity is out and when I am on a fishing and camping trip.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeffery's post:
  • Donna247, Kurt
Like Reply
My brother is really into the outdoor stuff. I showed him a video on Youtube about using welder's cloth as a portable fireplace. He got some and said it's the most underrated outdoor survival tool he has. Being able to build a fire just about anywhere and not worry about burning and melting things can come in handy. Smile

• Jeffery
Like Reply
Re the welders cloth. I use an old cut-up welders apron for camp fire cooking. Actually I use it to cover my clay ovens that I place in a hole in the ground.

Another use was to cover SCUBA tanks when I was a Army Diver.

And also used one for a quick bush fix to cover rabbits in the bed of my pickup truck, so as to keep buzzards and hawks from snatching them. Don't know why, but buzzards and hawks won't go near a welders apron.
Like Reply
This is literally a "life hack"...

If you live or work in a high rise, have an axe and/or a sledge hammer handy. If there's ever a fire in the hall and you're trapped, it may be possible for you to go sideways through walls to got to a stairwell. Walls are made of plasterboard and don't take much to get through. You could even punch through them just don't hit the studs.

Feel the wall first to see if you can feel any heat.

• Donna247
Like Reply
More on hydrogen peroxide. I've read were there's some pretty good evidence that at the first sign of a cold or flu to put a couple of drops of h2o2 in each ear. It's also OK for loosening ear wax. I think because of the corona virus situation it's a good time to use a little prevention. To me this is one of those things that probably won't help, but can't hurt.

Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 03:42 AM)Kurt Wrote: More on hydrogen peroxide. I've read were there's some pretty good evidence that at the first sign of a cold or flu to put a couple of drops of h2o2 in each ear. It's also OK for loosening ear wax. I think because of the corona virus situation it's a good time to use a little prevention. To me this is one of those things that probably won't help, but can't hurt.

I just came across this...it seems H2O2 is effective against corona. The interesting thing is this is from 1977.

Quote:Abstract

The effect of H2O2 on adenovirus types 3 and 6, adenoassociated virus type 4, rhinoviruses 1A, 1B, and type 7, myxoviruses, influenza A and B, respiratory syncytial virus, strain Long, and coronavirus strain 229E was studied in vitro, using different H2O2 concentration and timec of exposure. H2O2 in a 3 percent concentration inactivated all the viruses under study within 1--30 min. Coronavirus and influenza viruses were found to be most sensitive. Reoviruses, adenoviruses and adenoassociated virus were relatively stable. H2O2 is a convenient means for virus inactivation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/203115

[-] The following 2 users Like Kurt's post:
  • Donna247, Jeffery
Like Reply
In the past I was an Army Diver and our team had a doctor. Anytime we dove the tropics the doctor had us place two drops of h2o2 in our ears before and after every dive. There are some very nasty bacteria in tropical waters.

Divers have to clear their ears when diving or possible ear drum rupture. We also used it before flights that helps to equalize the pressure in your ears.

Thing was other teams of divers had moderate to severe infected inner ears than our team. Matter of fact I can't recall anyone on our team ever having an infected ear.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jeffery's post:
  • Donna247, Kurt, Tiffany655
Like Reply
The ear canal and sinuses are all connected which is why it's suggested to us h2o2 at the first signs of a cold or flu. If corona starts to really spread I'm going to put a couple of drops in my ears every week. I don't see how it can hurt and it may very well help.

• Donna247
Like Reply
I spent a lot of time in my past trying to think of the perfect place to hide a spare house key. I was always afraid that if I could think of a place to hide a key so could someone else.

Then one day it hit me when I was in a novelty shop (the funny kind of novelties not the adult kind). Fake dog poo. So I just cut a small slice in the fake poo, put the key in and placed in in the back yard (we had a dog) in a place I was sure we would remember where the fake poo was. I never felt so secure about hiding a key. Wink

• Donna247
Like Reply
I don't drink but came across this and now almost wish I did so I could try it. Get the cheapest bottle of vodka there is and run it through a water filter like Brita 3 times and it will make really high quality vodka.

Like Reply
I haven't seen any bleach or disinfectants at the only store in town in over a month. So I bought a lb of Pool Shock from Walmart online. Pool shock is the chlorine used in swimming pools and is basically powdered bleach. You mix about 1 tablespoon of pool shock with a quart of water (I think) to get the equivilent of household bleach.

• Tiffany655
Like Reply
Here is one. Have a dog? A dog collar with a hidden compartment.

[Image: 086b061092c1bbdf64f3255b31202c37--mumfor...d-dogs.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeffery's post:
  • Donna247
Like Reply
About the hydrogen peroxide being in a dark container.

A couple weeks back I bought a quart spray bottle at a dollar store. I'd planned to mix some bleach water in it. When I went to mix it I found that the bottle was labeled not suitable for bleach. I'd seen one of Kurt's comments about the h2o2 breaking down in light. Didn't know if I knew that before. I happened to have a tall, one qt bottle of h2o2 so I took the spray attachment off the bottle from the $store and tried it on the h2o2 bottle. It screwed on just fine.

I also know that the lid off of grated cheese (for spaghetti) fits on a qt mason jar.
[-] The following 3 users Like JoeSpirit's post:
  • Donna247, Jeffery, Kurt
Like Reply
I pulled a squirter off a squirt bottle and put in on a bottle of rubbing alcohol and it works. I also have a 6 oz squirt bottle of H2O2 for first aid kits I got at Dollar General. I just refill it from the big bottle of H2O2.  I take the 6 oz bottle with me when I go out.

One option for folks without a dark squirt bottle is to put a small amount of H2O2 in a regular squirt bottle then put the unused H2O2 back in the dark bottle after spraying. You may be able to spraypaint the squirt bottle but not sure if the sprayer will leak a little light so just keep it in a dark place when not using but the H2O2 won't break down instantly.

[-] The following 2 users Like Kurt's post:
  • Donna247, Jeffery
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 07:52 AM)Jeffery Wrote: In the past I was an Army Diver and our team had a doctor. Anytime we dove the tropics the doctor had us place two drops of h2o2 in our ears before and after every dive. There are some very nasty bacteria in tropical waters.

Divers have to clear their ears when diving or possible ear drum rupture. We also used it before flights that helps to equalize the pressure in your ears.

Thing was other teams of divers had moderate to severe infected inner ears than our team. Matter of fact I can't recall anyone on our team ever having an infected ear.

What is the mission of Army Divers?

After active duty with the Navy I hired on as a civilian employee with Naval Avionics. One 10 year stretch I performed overhaul and repair on underwater ordinance locators (metal detectors) that Navy Divers used mainly to find mines.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoeSpirit's post:
  • Jeffery
Like Reply
(05-02-2020, 10:33 AM)JoeSpirit Wrote: What is the mission of Army Divers?

Mainly Search and Recovery. Like you, after active duty I was an Army SCUBA Exaimner at Kwajalein Missile Range in the Marshall Islands with missions to the Philippines and Saudi Arabia.
Like Reply
(05-02-2020, 11:11 AM)Jeffery Wrote:
(05-02-2020, 10:33 AM)JoeSpirit Wrote: What is the mission of Army Divers?

Mainly Search and Recovery. Like you, after active duty I was an Army SCUBA Exaimner at Kwajalein Missile Range in the Marshall Islands with missions to the Philippines and Saudi Arabia.

I actually never dove in the military. I am a certified recreational diver though. The ordinance locators were a project I had as an O & R electronic tech.
Like Reply
(02-26-2020, 02:39 AM)Kurt Wrote: I'm not one of those doomsday preppers but I do think everyone should have a couple of weeks food, water and some basic emergency supplies.

Here's two handy things you may not have thought about...

The first is those outdoor solar lights. If your electricity goes out you can bring them in for some light at night then put them back out the next AM to recharge.

Also a roll of pallet wrap can really be useful. Pallet wrap is like industrial strength plastic sandwich wrap. It's cheap and really strong. You can use it for emergency windows in your car or home, a sling, to seal off part of a house or room, make a solar still, seal a home from hazzards, a green house and even a survival shelter.

You can get a roll of pallet wrap at Office Max, Amazon, Home Depot etc for a few bucks.

I posted this hack about pallet wrap a while back, but with present circustances want to bump this. Pallet wrap could help a lot of brick and mortar businesses set up protection quickly and easily using pallet wrap as partitions.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/office-su...64_5635687

Like Reply
I don't like many vegetables and a little while back I wanted to start eating better. So I spent a couple hours researching lists of "super foods" and went through them and made a list of those that I liked.

I love nuts and seeds and found a good assortment of them can give all the essential nutrients that vegetables do. Also things like avacados and berries, beans are things I really like and are healthy so I starting eating a lot more of these things.

I had a talk with someone that told me all about kale. I told her how I hate kale and she went on about how good it was for me. I asked her if they like jalapenos and she said no. I explained to her that jalapenos are just as healthy as kale and I like them. I also like pistacios, almonds, cashews, sunflower and pumpkin seeds a lot more than kale. Wink

Like Reply
(06-19-2020, 02:50 AM)Kurt Wrote: I don't like many vegetables and a little while back I wanted to start eating better. So I spent a couple hours researching lists of "super foods" and went through them and made a list of those that I liked.

I love nuts and seeds and found a good assortment of them can give all the essential nutrients that vegetables do. Also things like avacados and berries, beans are things I really like and are healthy so I starting eating a lot more of these things.

I had a talk with someone that told me all about kale. I told her how I hate kale and she went on about how good it was for me. I asked her if they like jalapenos and she said no. I explained to her that jalapenos are just as healthy as kale and I like them. I also like pistacios, almonds, cashews, sunflower and pumpkin seeds a lot more than kale. Wink

Never tried kale myself. I am fond of beans though and eat them often. I like quite a few vegetables and every morning I have a scoop of powered vegetables and fruits (Super Greens).

Did you find a good source for nuts? I like those too and when I'm traveling I like to keep some trail mix (no candy contents) handy for snacking as I drive.
Like Reply
(06-19-2020, 11:36 AM)JoeSpirit Wrote: Never tried kale myself. I am fond of beans though and eat them often. I like quite a few vegetables and every morning I have a scoop of powered vegetables and fruits (Super Greens). Did you find a good source for nuts? I like those too and when I'm traveling I like to keep some trail mix (no candy contents) handy for snacking as I drive.

I usually just buy them at the local grocery store...except shelled pistacios. I get them on ebay. I don't have a scale but from what I can tell it's actually cheaper to get them shelled and a lot easier. Wink

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wonderful-Pistachios-No-Shells-Roasted-and-Salted-24-oz-Resealable-2-bags/174320641538?epid=26034767825&hash=item289651e602:g:pJYAAOSw7O9e6t29

• JoeSpirit
Like Reply
I was in the dollar store a while back and they had one of those fancy clips for chip bags for $4. They also had a pack of 50 wooden clothes pins for $1. I think you can make up your own hack... LOL

Clothes pins really are one of the great inventions.

Like Reply
Here's how to make a DIY swamp cooler. This works pretty well in dry arid areas but if its humid where you are, it won't work. Get a sheet, thin blanket or a beach towel and get it completely wet then spread it out and hang it up and put a fan on it to help it evaporate faster. The evaporating of the water will cool a room a few degrees.

The main problem is finding something to catch the water as it drips from the sheet.

Like Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Millennial Movie Reactions Kurt 1 11613 07-26-2022, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Kurt
  What is your favorite Thanksgiving food? Jeffery 3 6486 11-25-2020, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Jeffery
Music Favorite Blues Videos Kurt 16 27088 08-01-2020, 06:08 PM
  Favorite and least favorite school subjects Kurt 3 7992 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Jeffery
  Life Before or After the Net? Kurt 4 9231 03-09-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Claire Koch
  What are some of your favorite names from sports? Kurt 3 7025 02-22-2020, 06:25 PM