Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SHORT CONTENT] New major content type on pretty much all major platforms
I believe the move to "short content" by the major platforms is one of the most profound shifts I've seen for online marketers I've seen and I've been doing IM since 1996. 

Think about this...in the past 4 months Google, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter and Reddit have ALL major features and platforms to copy TikTok, which copied Instagram, which copied Snapchat. 

More specifically, they all have added "story" or short content platforms. For example, YouTube now has "Shorts", which are vertical videos that are 60 seconds or less. Short content formatted for mobile devices. 

Also Just Recently:
  • Google just launched Web Stories.
  • Pinterest added "Story Pins"
  • LinkedIn added LinkedIn Stories
  • Twitter added Fleets
  • Reddit bought the short content video platform Dubsmash
 Again, this is all in the last few months and in addition to Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok short content formats. 

The biggest User Generated Content sites are pretty much shouting at us what they want. They want short content formatted so it downloads quickly, is formatted for mobile phones...and is interesting. 

In 26+ years online I'm not sure if I've ever seen the stars all align quite like this. This is a massive opportunity. Ranking Shorts in YouTube, Stories in Google and Story Pins in Pinterest will never be easier than it is now.

Here's a really good article about short form content and videos:
https://www.indiehackers.com/post/this-a...7177379a3d
Quote:What's the one thing Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, and Google have in common? Over the past four months, they all launched their own Instagram story-like feature as part of their main product:

The article also brings up this point:
Quote:If you're familiar with the law of shitty clickthroughs, you'll know that each acquisition channel/strategy declines over time. Facebook Ads costs get higher year-over-year. SEO gets harder and harder as time passes, and so on.

There is one thing you can do about this: Keep an eye on new channels, so you can be the first to reap the benefits in case that channel takes off. This is what happened to Austin, the co-founder of Morning Brew.

This is probably something we should keep an eye on...

ADDED:

I've created some threads in the Stampede Training sub forum dedicated to some of the short format platforms and plan on adding more. I'll update the links below as more are added:

[SHORT CONTENT] Pinterest Story Pins for Marketing
[SHORT CONTENT] YouTube Shorts
[SHORT CONTENT] Google Web Stories - Getting Started

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with
The Pheeds Kings and Queens of Content VIP Club affiliate program.

Click here to your affiliate link and get started now.

[-] The following 5 users Like Kurt's post:
  • 10x, Marc Holland, Neil797, onegerman, Partha759
Like Reply
Totally Agree. Great Insights.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cosmic77's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(01-16-2021, 09:12 AM)cosmic77 Wrote: Totally Agree. Great Insights.

I've been checking into this a bit more and there's something profound going on. When Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, and Google all move in 4 months to copy TikTok and Instagram, there's a major shift.

I'm not sure if they all see the same shift coming or they are creating the shift intentionally (or both) but this isn't something we see every day. These are pretty much all the major social and User Generated Content sites all converging on pretty much the same "new" short content format.

These are the sites that drive massive amounts of traffic. Early adopters should have a huge advantage.

The only major site not included I can think of at this time is Quora...and I'll bet they are exploring something similar, or they'll be left behind.

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with

Like Reply
Yes & sadly 99% of these short videos are so full of self-centered immaturity & stupidity it makes me want to go live in a cabin in a woods and shout "YE is all doomed" in a strong scottish accent Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like cosmic77's post:
  • Kurt, Neil797
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 10:44 AM)cosmic77 Wrote: Yes & sadly 99% of these short videos are so full of self-centered immaturity & stupidity it makes me want to go live in a cabin in a woods and shout "YE is all doomed" in a strong scottish accent Smile

Haha too right! 
I can't actually figure out what or how to produce a 15 second video that would have much value.  Or perhaps that's missing the point!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil797's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(01-17-2021, 10:44 AM)cosmic77 Wrote: Yes & sadly 99% of these short videos are so full of self-centered immaturity & stupidity it makes me want to go live in a cabin in a woods and shout "YE is all doomed" in a strong scottish accent [Image: smile.png]
(01-18-2021, 09:56 AM)Neil797 Wrote: Haha too right!  I can't actually figure out what or how to produce a 15 second video that would have much value.  Or perhaps that's missing the point!

And this seems like a big opportunity...how do we create useful and interesting short format content in ways that also benefits our businesses?

I'm doing a deep dive about short format content and  writing some forum threads about this...but for now, YouTube shorts are simply "vertical" videos that are 59 seconds or less. How do you make videos that are interesting, appealing and under 60 seconds?

I'm probably highly biased, but I see using PowerPoint a lot, especially for YouTube Shorts that aren't shot using a smartphone.

I also see PowerPoint when creating Google Stories. Google has their own software, but creating Stories is very similar to creating PowerPoint presentations/slide decks. Stories have "pages" and PPT have "slides" and pages and slides can each have images, text, videos, audio and animations on them. Stories are just created using special HTML so they play in web pages and browsers.

Like Reply
Note: I messed up. I wanted to merge two threads for this forum but did it the wrong direction. So an older thread was merged with a new one. I'm a bonehead.

Like Reply
well wow! Just came over here from seeing an email from Kurt.  Read every email
he send btw.

Much needed topic how to make the new short videos worthwhile.   Love this.
yes big switch Kurt thanks for spotting it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Claire Koch's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
One of the things I hate about this "story" type content is when it says (written) "swipe up (or whatever) for more information" but I'm on my laptop. It's a big turn off. I don't know how to swipe anything on my keyboard or mouse. The first few times it felt like a disconnected tone deaf ad put out by an idiot.

Lately, some of the people I follow have changed to say "click here for more information" or similar. That I can understand.  Smile  And it should work even on phones or tablets, right? If you can swipe with a finger you can click with the same finger. LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes 10x's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
I've added links to threads about some of the short content platforms in my OP and will update that post as I add more. Please visit those threads for conversations about individual platforms.

Some random thoughts:

I haven't done Snapchat/instagram/tiktok so I I didn't have a lot of experience with story format. Spending a few days digging into this, PowerPoint really looks like the single skill that translates the best. You may not use PPT directly but the principles are very similar.

For platforms like Google Stories and Pin Stories, think basic on-page SEO principles. My hunch is they will use keyword relevancy at first then start factoring user engagement data as they gather it. IOW, I'm guessing you need good keyword optimization to rank at first, then good engagement to keep that rank. Google is probably more tuned to LSI and co-occurance where Pinterest's search is more basic.

Like Reply
(01-14-2021, 04:35 PM)Kurt Wrote: I believe the move to "short content" by the major platforms is one of the most profound shifts I've seen for online marketers I've seen and I've been doing IM since 1996. 

Think about this...in the past 4 months Google, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter and Reddit have ALL major features and platforms to copy TikTok, which copied Instagram, which copied Snapchat. 

More specifically, they all have added "story" or short content platforms. For example, YouTube now has "Shorts", which are vertical videos that are 60 seconds or less. Short content formatted for mobile devices. 

Also Just Recently:
  • Google just launched Web Stories.
  • Pinterest added "Story Pins"
  • LinkedIn added LinkedIn Stories
  • Twitter added Fleets
  • Reddit bought the short content video platform Dubsmash
 Again, this is all in the last few months and in addition to Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok short content formats. 

The biggest User Generated Content sites are pretty much shouting at us what they want. They want short content formatted so it downloads quickly, is formatted for mobile phones...and is interesting. 

In 26+ years online I'm not sure if I've ever seen the stars all align quite like this. This is a massive opportunity. Ranking Shorts in YouTube, Stories in Google and Story Pins in Pinterest will never be easier than it is now.

Here's a really good article about short form content and videos:
https://www.indiehackers.com/post/this-a...7177379a3d

Quote:What's the one thing Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, and Google have in common? Over the past four months, they all launched their own Instagram story-like feature as part of their main product:

The article also brings up this point:

Quote:If you're familiar with the law of shitty clickthroughs, you'll know that each acquisition channel/strategy declines over time. Facebook Ads costs get higher year-over-year. SEO gets harder and harder as time passes, and so on.

There is one thing you can do about this: Keep an eye on new channels, so you can be the first to reap the benefits in case that channel takes off. This is what happened to Austin, the co-founder of Morning Brew.

This is probably something we should keep an eye on...

ADDED:

I've created some threads in the Stampede Training sub forum dedicated to some of the short format platforms and plan on adding more. I'll update the links below as more are added:

[SHORT CONTENT] Pinterest Story Pins for Marketing
[SHORT CONTENT] YouTube Shorts
[SHORT CONTENT] Google Web Stories - Getting Started

Don't forget Amazon. I know it's a little different (not video), but they have "short reads" that CAN do extremely well. I just read a report about a guy who earns $2k to $8k a month with short (sub-20 pages) books. He calls them chapters.

So he is literally selling one chapter at a time. Kind of like a TV show episode.

Just something to think about.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bill Davis's post:
  • Claire Koch, Kurt
Like Reply
Hey Bill - Can you link to the Guy in AZ doing this Shorts Idea Please? Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cosmic77's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for Content, Products, SEO and More? It's Here... Kurt 3 4549 11-21-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Kurt
  Making content just got a lot better with tons of free multi media assets Kurt 1 7114 06-22-2022, 01:01 AM
Last Post: Claire Koch
  A really great tool for creating content for repurposing Kurt 2 4488 06-08-2022, 05:41 AM
  A couple of free content tools Kurt 2 3170 05-28-2022, 09:41 PM
  You won't find these keyword, AI content writing, Quora & Traffic tips anywhere else Kurt 0 1575 05-26-2022, 04:38 PM
  The ultimate SEO and content toolkit for cheapskates Kurt 1 2561 05-25-2022, 05:06 PM
  Advanced keyword method for your content made easy Kurt 0 2479 05-06-2022, 09:48 PM
  Pheeds Content Silo - The Ugly but Extremely Useful Page for Writing Content Kurt 20 28551 05-03-2022, 03:22 AM
  Question on Content Syndication Mark D 3 3070 03-10-2022, 08:42 PM
  Discover your content making Super Powers Kurt 1 2716 02-06-2022, 09:45 PM