Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kurt's Bachelor Cooking
My low carb cheese cake crust:

1/2 cup Capn Crunch

1/2 cup coconut flour - I use about 2/3 cup of coconut flakes and blend/grind them into about 1/2 cup.

2 big tablespoons of butter/margarine

Blend together Capn Crunch and coconut until fine.

Then add the butter and stir until combined and press into a pie pan.

17 carb from 1/2 cup of Capn Crunch

17 carbs from 1/2 cup coconut flour

0 carbs butter

34 total carbs in the entire crust.

100 carbs in a cup of graham cracker crumbs.

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with
The Pheeds Kings and Queens of Content VIP Club affiliate program.

Click here to your affiliate link and get started now.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kurt's post:
  • Donna247
Like Reply
Easy carb free coating. Grind some pork rinds in the blender and mix the crumbs with an equal part of grated parmesan cheese. You can leave the grounded rinds a little bigger if you want more texture.

Add any seasonings you want. I sometimes get the BBQ flavored rinds and like them on some things like chicken nuggets. You can also use this for things like cheese sticks or poppers.

Just dip in egg wash, sour cream or even butter first to coat then in the parmesan/rind mixture and cook.

The results are really good.

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with

• Donna247
Like Reply
Pre-heat Air Fryer on High

Get a a couple of flour tortillas.

Put some burrito/taco stuff in it that you like hot

Roll it up

Spray or brush the outside with butter and seasoning

Cook in air fryer for 2-3 minutes

Turn them over

Cook in air fryer 2-3 more minutes, just long enough to make sure they're charred almost to the point of being inedible. Better make he second time 2 minutes.

Take out of basket making sure to give yourself a couple of third degree burns.

Top with more burrito/taco stuff.

I love how the air fryer makes the tortillas crunchy.

• Donna247
Like Reply
When I was a bachelor I was the the only "cook" for lack of a better word among my male friends. I was also the only high school jock to take home ec. I understand home ec is no longer a class in high school these days. The guys really gave me "hell" (good-naturedly) for participating in a class meant for girls.

Honestly, I skipped home ec a lot. My coach rearranged my class schedule without my consent to where home ec was my next to last class of the day and physical education was the last class. So the last two hours of a school day were spent in the gym.

One thing I did learn in home ec is the girls were not very pretty to put it nicely, but man were they great cooks and actually some of them became some of my best friends. To this day, in a brawl, I'll favor the odds of a country home ec girl against any high school jock, lol.

Another thing I learned in home ec was how to use a clay pot/oven.

[Image: A-Romertopf-99113-Large-Glazed-Clay-Cooker.jpg]
I learned how to bake wild game and fish when hunting/fishing/camping and even created a spot in my backyard close to my grill. Plus, range fed chicken from a market.

There is nothing like camping and having a hot meal in the evening waiting for you. Especially after a long day of hunting. In the morning I put it all together and that evening it was ready. Slow bake all day.

First, I would put some wild game in the oven with wild carrots and salt/pepper. Then I would dig a hole about two feet deep and line the outside rim with basketball size rocks. Place my oven in the hole and cover it with red hot coals from the camp fire and cover that with an old welders apron and cover that with a few baseball size rocks.

Here to tell you that the meal melts in your mouth. Even wild pig did not require a knife. It fell apart with the touch of a fork. And the taste.. better than KFC. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeffery's post:
  • Donna247, Kurt
Like Reply
You can substitute V8 for tomato sauce in recipes. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Stan The Man's post:
  • Donna247, Kurt
Like Reply
I cannot eat your low carb crust because of the cereal. 
It has sugar in it.  And probably wheat.

I don't eat any of that except when I cheat.  Oh yeah. lol
I guess i do eat it sometimes.

Does it taste just like a graham cracker crust when its done?

I can remember eating cereal though and do miss it.

full disclosure I am on a keto diet.  I eat, salads at lunch, meat and veggies for dinner
and sugar free treats.  I get by with low carb bars for snacks and sugar free candy.
Its a daily thing.  Lost 50 pounds doing that.
[-] The following 3 users Like Claire Koch's post:
  • 10x, Donna247, Kurt
Like Reply
(03-06-2020, 03:17 AM)Claire Koch Wrote: I cannot eat your low carb crust because of the cereal. 
It has sugar in it.  And probably wheat.

I don't eat any of that except when I cheat.  Oh yeah. lol
I guess i do eat it sometimes.

Does it taste just like a graham cracker crust when its done?

I can remember eating cereal though and do miss it.

full disclosure I am on a keto diet.  I eat, salads at lunch, meat and veggies for dinner
and sugar free treats.  I get by with low carb bars for snacks and sugar free candy.
Its a daily thing.  Lost 50 pounds doing that.

I think Crunch is oats? I'd maybe use oats as a substitution, just blend them a little bit.

I actually like this low carb crust better than graham cracker crust, but never been a big fan of graham cracker. Before I'd use a vanilla wafer crust. My crust does taste like coconut, which I like.

Like Reply
I like to make a loaf of bread using the bread machine about once a month. Today I was getting the ingredients together and grabbed the flour last. My recipe calls for 3 cups of flour but I only had 2.5.

Looking around I found a box of pancake mix, so I added 1/2 cup to the regular flour. I was afraid it would come out "broken" in some way, but it's really good. I'll try to remember next time...

Like Reply
Here's my favorite bread machine recipe...

First, they lie. Smile

All the bread machine advice says to be careful and put the yeast in last in a little hole on top of the dry stuff so it doesn't touch stuff.

Wrong.

Get a cup of warm water, 2.25 teaspoons yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar and let the yeast react for 10 minutes in your bread maker.

Add:

1/4 cup oil

3 cups flour (or 2.5 cups flour and .5 cups pancake mix)

1.5 teaspoons salt

The key is really letting the yeast work for 10 minutes first and not follow the common advice of putting it on top of the dry stuff.

• Donna247
Like Reply
I love pinto beans. They're healthy and cheap and I make a pot of them pretty often. Here's something I learned just a little while agao that really helps. When you soak them add a couple of teaspoons of salt and about 1/2 teaspoon of basking soda. The baking soda really softens the skins of the beans a lot and makes them more tender.

There's something called "food fatigue" where people get tired of eating the same thing over and over. I love pizzza but can't eat it every day. For some strange reason I never get food fatigue with pinto beans and could eat them just about every day.

• Donna247
Like Reply
Pinto beans are my favorite beans as well. How long do you soak your beans? I soak mine for 20 to 24 hours, but not more than 24 hours.

BTW, Pizza Hut is also my favorite pizza. Dominos and Papa Johns aren't even in my top five.

There are some things I will not eat. Okra? Not even on a good day, lol. And those large orange/brown sweet potatoes? Not a chance.

Now, Mexican burritos? Don't get me started, lol, I can't get enough. Pinto beans and black beans are two of my favorite beans. Speckled pinto beans to make refried beans and black beans in soups, salsas, and as a filling in both burritos and enchiladas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeffery's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(03-09-2020, 12:48 AM)Jeffery Wrote: Pinto beans are my favorite beans as well. How long do you soak your beans? I soak mine for 20 to 24 hours, but not more than 24 hours.

BTW, Pizza Hut is also my favorite pizza. Dominos and Papa Johns aren't even in my top five.

There are some things I will not eat. Okra? Not even on a good day, lol. And those large orange/brown sweet potatoes? Not a chance.

Now, Mexican burritos? Don't get me started, lol, I can't get enough. Pinto beans and black beans are two of my favorite beans. Speckled pinto beans to make refried beans and black beans in soups, salsas, and as a filling in both burritos and enchiladas.

I soak them overnight so about 10-12 hours in a salt and baking soda brine. But I live at 8000 ft above sea level and water boils up here at about 190 F so I have to cook them for 3-3/12 hours. I cook up a bunch because they freeze well after being cooked.

Most of the time I mix 2 parts pinto and 1 part black beans and I mostly use them to make refried beans for burritos or nachos or by themselves. I also like putting BBQ chicken in them, it's sort of like pork and beans but better. And just a bowl of beans and corn bread or home made bread is good too. Smile

My least favorite food is asparagus. I don't think I could eat it even if I was starving.

• Jeffery
Like Reply
<quote option="&quot;Kurt&quot; pid='499' dateline='1583553167'"><br />
Here's my favorite bread machine recipe...<br />
<br />
First, they lie. Smile<br />
<br />
All the bread machine advice says to be careful and put the yeast in last in a little hole on top of the dry stuff so it doesn't touch stuff.<br />
<br />
Wrong.<br />
<br />
Get a cup of warm water, 2.25 teaspoons yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar and let the yeast react for 10 minutes in your bread maker.<br />
<br />
Add:<br />
<br />
1/4 cup oil<br />
<br />
3 cups flour (or 2.5 cups flour and .5 cups pancake mix)<br />
<br />
1.5 teaspoons salt<br />
<br />
The key is really letting the yeast work for 10 minutes first and not follow the common advice of putting it on top of the dry stuff.</quote><br />
I'm going to try this. I stopped using my bread maker because it was always hit or miss if my bread came out okay or not.  A lot of wasted flour and yeast and other stuff.  I mainly make it for my mom.  She loves homemade bread.  I haven't been making it lately so she buys the french loaves from Walmart.  Not great but better than the other sliced bread that tastes horrible.  When I first started with the bread maker, she stopped eating that sliced stuff.  I was thinking I probably just needed to make bread without the machine.  Haven't got around to it yet.  Smile  But I will now try your recipe, Kurt.  Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Donna247's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
A FB friend made this loaf using the recipe I posted above. I'd post a pic of my own loaves but that would mean I have to do housework. Smile

[Image: 91173877_10219137791369653_8627643468556...e=5EA3B17D]

• Donna247
Like Reply
(03-29-2020, 01:16 AM)Kurt Wrote: A FB friend made this loaf using the recipe I posted above. I'd post a pic of my own loaves but that would mean I have to do housework. Smile

[Image: 91173877_10219137791369653_8627643468556...e=5EA3B17D]

That turned out perfect!!
  • Kurt
Like Reply
Here's an interesting article on how to make your own yeast at home. This is how bread was made for 1000s of years before commercial yeast was created about 100 years ago.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21199...self-bread

• Donna247
Like Reply
I have a can of Chunky split pea soup I think I paid $2.29 for. Instead I made some split pea soup in the slow cooker using a bag of split peas and made a loaf of bread in the bread machine. I estimate these cost a total of $1.60. I'll get 6-7 meals for $1.60 and have a little bread left over.

Like Reply
(04-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Kurt Wrote: Here's an interesting article on how to make your own yeast at home. This is how bread was made for 1000s of years before commercial yeast was created about 100 years ago.

I finally found yeast around here.  I bought both regular and instant.  KURT, which should I use in your bread machine recipe? I don't know enough about this to know if there is a difference.   Undecided
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(04-09-2020, 09:47 PM)Donna247 Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 04:54 PM)Kurt Wrote: Here's an interesting article on how to make your own yeast at home. This is how bread was made for 1000s of years before commercial yeast was created about 100 years ago.

I finally found yeast around here.  I bought both regular and instant.  KURT, which should I use in your bread machine recipe? I don't know enough about this to know if there is a difference.   Undecided

I'm not a yeast expert...but I'd go with regular and have never used instant.

Actually...I just started a loaf in my bread machine a few minutes ago. Wink

• Donna247
Like Reply
<quote option="&quot;Kurt&quot; pid='895' dateline='1586471455'"><quote option="&quot;Donna247&quot; pid='894' dateline='1586468852'"><quote option="&quot;Kurt&quot; pid='853' dateline='1586192081'"><br />
Here's an interesting article on how to make your own yeast at home. This is how bread was made for 1000s of years before commercial yeast was created about 100 years ago.<br />
<br />
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21199.../quote><br />
<br />
<br />
I finally found yeast around here.  I bought both regular and instant.  KURT, which should I use in your bread machine recipe? I don't know enough about this to know if there is a difference.   Undecided</quote><br />
<br />
I'm not a yeast expert...but I'd go with regular and have never used instant.<br />
<br />
Actually...I just started a loaf in my bread machine a few minutes ago. Wink</quote><br />
I will be making it tomorrow.  Thanks for you quick reply.  Enjoy your bread! Yum!
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(04-09-2020, 10:53 PM)Donna247 Wrote: I will be making it tomorrow.  Thanks for you quick reply.  Enjoy your bread! Yum!

Ok Donna...don't keep the entire Pheeds Phorum in suspense...all 3 of us want to know how it turned out. Wink

Quick defrost tip:

Boil a pot of water then remove it from the heat and put the frozen food on a baking sheet and place it on top of the pot of hot water.

Like Reply

I started this a couple of days ago to see how it goes. I didn't notice at first but this is actually sourdough starter. After some research, I think this is how to adapt my bread recipe above to use sourdough starter instead of store bought yeast. Bascially you substitute a cup of starter in place of the yeast/

Since the cup of starter is half water and half flour, you need to take out half a cup of water and half a cup of flour from the recipe. It also needs to rise for a lot longer, for 4 hours. So I'll use the dough cycle on my machine then take it out and put it on a baking sheet to let it rise longer.

Adjusted recipe for home made sourdough bread:
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar (honey/brown sugar, etc)
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Use dough cycle
Take out the bread and shape it on a baking sheet
Let rise for 4 more hours.

Add a pan of water to the oven and bake at 425 for about 40 minutes (I think).

I'll try this in a few days and let you know...

Like Reply
This week I am going to try my hand at Banana Bread in a clay oven. It is one of favorites and this article inspired me:
Why Banana Bread Is the Official Comfort Food of the Coronavirus Quarantine
by Rachel Tepper Paley
Published: Apr 2, 2020

I would try it today, but it is Easter and my wife made me Fried Chicken with noodles.

Happy Easter Smile
  • Kurt
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]

• Jeffery
Like Reply
I used the bread recipe above "as is" for pizza dough once before. It was OK but was "too bready" tasting, so I tried something a little different this time.

I cut the yeast to 2 teaspoons and instead of salt I used garlic salt and added some italian seasoning to the flout.

I'v read about xanthum gum which is used to make pizza and french bread more "chewey" but I didn't have any. So I googled "xanthum gum substitute" and saw a site that said you could use plain gelatin instead. So I added a teaspoon of gelatin to the flour.

I used the bread machine on the "dough" cycle to knead and rise the dough.

Then I used a rolling pin for the dough. I noticed this time it seemed to shring back a lot more this time as I rolled it and it took more rolling to get it to the right size and thickness.

I baked it at 425f for about 14 mins.

It was really good! The gelatin really made a noticable difference in the crust. BTW the pic below uses a 16 inch pizza pan and there was enough dough to also make another smaller pizza using a baking sheet. I need some work on shaping the pizza into a better circle but I'm more into taste than looks. Smile
[Image: pizza.jpg]

[-] The following 2 users Like Kurt's post:
  • Donna247, Jeffery
Like Reply
Man that looks good. I am already full, but that makes my mouth water all over again. Smile
  • Kurt
Like Reply
When you want cake but need to improvise:
"No Flour, Eggs or Butter? No Problem! 23 Cake Recipes for When You’re Missing an Ingredient":
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/no-fl...ket-newtab

Also my sourdough starter/DIY yeast looks like it's ready. The article said it would take 5 days but mine finally came to life on the 6th day and it passed the water test where you drop a small amount into some water and if it floats it's ready.

• Jeffery
Like Reply
I tried making sour dough bread using the DIY yeast/sourdough starter. I didn't have an exact baking time in the oven for this recipe, so I just guessed. I guessed badly and really burned it. I literally chiseled off some of the crust so I wouldn't chip a tooth (no exaggeration) and what was left was good but not great. I'll probably try it one more time but not sure it's worth the effort, unless you're out of yeast.

I also made some homemade peach jam today in the bread machine that turned out really well.

2 cups frozen peaches thawed (I'm guessing you can use fresh or canned?)
1 cup sweatener - I used about 60% splenda (no comments please LOL) 20% white and 20% brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon lime juice
pinch cinnamon
pinch nutmeg

Set the bread machine on the jam mode. Then when it was finished cooking I used a hand blender to make it a little smoother.

I'll try blueberries or strawberries next.

Like Reply
My banana bread will have to wait. My nieces and nephew visited and ate all of my bananas. Seems they like my banana chips with caramelized sugar. Its a poor mans snack that I taught my sisters how to make growing up.
  • Slice bananas into thick coins or lengthwise strips, depending on your preference.
  • Pour sugar onto a plate. Roll bananas in sugar, until completely coated.
  • Spray a medium size nonstick pan with olive oil or butter cooking spray, and heat over medium high heat. Add bananas and sugar.
Oh, with a little more slice/chop work you can make a quick poor mans cereal. Tasty!
  • Donna247
Like Reply
Don't know how I forgot this.. left overs. Can't count the times I've heard "Oh no, not that again!" from my brother and sisters back in the day. Now a days, they scour my fridge for them, lol.

Fried rice leftovers is one of my favorites. Growing up I didn't know rice even existed. Mashed potatoes and potatoe salad yes, but never rice. I guess it was because of growing up in the south on a dirt farm.

Once I did some time in the orient and as you would know.. rice is all too common. Matter of fact, rice is served with every meal. Potatoes in general they never heard of and after I introduced them to it they would rather have their rice, lol.

Rice with soy sauce and fish sauce is the fundemental essential to the majority. However, I personally don't like soy or fish sauce.. at all.

Then one day I went deep sea fishing hawaiian style and was introduced to cooking hawaiian style. We caught yellow fin tuna during seaspn and Mahi-mahi during season. Hawaiians prefer their fish raw and after fishing back at the dock it was common to filet and eat the fish raw with some soy sauce. And lots of beer. Our crew would grab two or three of the fish and give it to "the cook" who immediately headed for the cabana.

After the boat and gear was put away we all headed for the cabana carrying coolers of fish and beer. Rice and fresh fish awaited us. Those were the days. Good friends, good food and good wahines (cough cough).

Leftovers? Oh yeah..
Nothing like leftover wahines Rolleyes
  • Kurt
Like Reply
I love rice...white rice anyway. Brown rice is somewhat edible if you cook it like pasta and boil it for 45-50 minutes then strain it. My issue is white rice tends to raise my blood sugar the most, so I just exercise a bit after eating it.

One of my favorites is a bowl of half white rice on one side and half homemade refried beans on the other, topped with pickled jalapenos. I've been making my own jalapenos but every time I boil them it's like someone fumigated my place with pepper spray. I may have to break down and just buy the jars at the grocery store.

• Jeffery
Like Reply
Discovered this today. Sitting in my easy chair, watching some WWE reruns, my wife served me hamburger helper enchilidada. I like it. There was a bag of potatoe chips next to my chair, so I dipped the chips into the enchadada concoction. Yummy!

Searched for a receipe and found this which I am gonna try sometime soon.

[Image: 47c40374-0f46-42e5-87ec-23c341abc998.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeffery's post:
  • Donna247, Kurt
Like Reply
(04-10-2020, 04:43 PM)Kurt Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 10:53 PM)Donna247 Wrote: I will be making it tomorrow.  Thanks for you quick reply.  Enjoy your bread! Yum!

Ok Donna...don't keep the entire Pheeds Phorum in suspense...all 3 of us want to know how it turned out. Wink

Quick defrost tip:

Boil a pot of water then remove it from the heat and put the frozen food on a baking sheet and place it on top of the pot of hot water.
Oh no.  I'm so sorry!  I just now saw this.  It turned out looking great, then kept sinking inward and became too tough in the middle after 1 day.  Maybe it's not me and there is something wrong with the bread machine???   Dodgy

Any way, I have packed it up and will be giving it away. I'll let someone else try that bread machine.  I will now work on making bread without a machine.
  • Kurt
Like Reply
Today I discovered that homemade chocolate pudding is pretty much chocolate milk gravy.

Like Reply
I use frozen bananas a lot. I drink a lot of protein shakes and SlimFast and instead of using milk a lot of times I'll just use water and 1/3 frozen banana or frozen berries and frozen banana with just a splash of milk. It's hard to beat vanilla protein shake with frozen strawberries and bananas.

• Donna247
Like Reply
I tried the sourdough starter bread again. This time it turned out a lot better. First the sour dough start got going a lot quicker. I didn't cover it at first this time and it started bubbling after a couple of days.

This time I also used about 1/2 the normal amount of yeast. The problem is I don't have the right kind of pan to bake it in so after using the dough cycle on the machine I put it on a cookie sheet to rise and bake. So it spreads out into a blob more than rising up.

But it turned out pretty well. I like the crust better in the over than the bread machine and it had a really good texture. It just isn't very tall. Wink

• Jeffery
Like Reply
Another happy graduate of Kurt's Bachelor School of Cooking:

https://www.facebook.com/Negrowskyococ/v...389168856/

[-] The following 2 users Like Kurt's post:
  • Jeffery, JoeSpirit
Like Reply
This turned out pretty well...

About 1/3 of a slap of cream cheese

A scoop of chocolate protein powder or something like Slimfast

About 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

About 1/4 cup nut/seed meal - I used cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and put them in a blender.

A pinch unsweetened cocoa powder

Heat the cream cheese in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Break it up into chunks first so it doesn't explode.

Add all the other stuff and stir.

I put it in the air fryer for about 7 minutes to give it a crispy top. The texture and flavor is really good.

• Jeffery
Like Reply
Memorial Day Weekend

First, shout outs to all vets past and present.

My  Memorial Day weekend starts at 1300 hours today. Taking the wifey to the Asian store for her goodies. I love her, but I ain't eating that stuff, lol. Well, unless there are eggrolls, pancit canton and leche flan. Crossing fingers.

Memorial day is as close to Thanksgiving day as it gets in my house. Steaks, burgers and hotdogs on the grill. This year cheese cake for desert.

Going to go back and forth beween my wife's cooking and my own. Say a prayer for me. Big Grin

Hope you all have s good one!
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(03-07-2020, 03:52 AM)Kurt Wrote: Get a cup of warm water, 2.25 teaspoons yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar and let the yeast react for 10 minutes in your bread maker. Add: 1/4 cup oil 3 cups flour (or 2.5 cups flour and .5 cups pancake mix) 1.5 teaspoons salt The key is really letting the yeast work for 10 minutes first and not follow the common advice of putting it on top of the dry stuff.
(04-12-2020, 04:21 PM)Kurt Wrote: Adjusted recipe for home made sourdough bread: 1/2 cup water 2 tablespoons sugar (honey/brown sugar, etc) 1/4 cup cooking oil 2 1/2 cups flour 1 1/2 teaspoons salt Use dough cycle Take out the bread and shape it on a baking sheet Let rise for 4 more hours.

Sour dough is just too much work unless you're out of yeast. But...I made a loaf that used a little less yeast and about 1/3 cup of sour dough starter and just made it in the bread machine and it was really good and a lot easier.

1 cup luke warm water
1.75 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
Let sit for 10 minutes

Add 1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup sour dough starter
3 cups flour
1.5 teaspoons salt

Set bread machine to 1.5 lb loaf.

Like Reply