Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do marketers sell their secrets if they're so good?
Why do marketers sell their secrets if they're so good?

This is a question I've seen a lot over the years, but I've only seen snark replies and not any real "beef". (Pheeds => cows => beef...get it? Smile )

I can't speak for everyone that launches a product, but I can tell you my opinions and motivations.

First, "Why would someone sell their secrets" is a legit question. However, it is NOT a legit conclusion and is an ad hominem fallacy. Be suspicious but not absolute.

As a vendor, here are my reasons:

1. Ego. This is probably the most under-appreciated motivation in marketing, if not all of life. Don't underestimate being seen an "expert" does for the ego. Ever notice how many people that have spoken in front of crowds love to post those pics when promoting themselves? They're on a stage "above" everyone else.

2. Money. Yes, we think we'll make enough money to make it worth our while and that selling the product will make us more money than just using it ourselves. Hopefully vendors also consider the value to their customers and not just their own benefit.

3. Timing. Back in my SEO days I'd start getting hints in places like forums that other people were starting to figure out some things I already had. I figured if it was going to be made public, it may as well be by me. Just because you know a "secret" doesn't mean other people don't know it too.

4. I wanted it. This is something that goes against all traditional marketing advice, which is you don't create things for yourself you make them for the market. However, sometimes it makes perfect BUSINESS SENSE.

For example, I wanted Pheeders Membership Plugin to help with this Pheeds forum. I had it created for me. By offering it for sale I am making my investment back and using the money to finance further development for me and other Pheeders. It may not have been a perfect marketing decision, but it makes business sense to me.

5. Vendors also sell things when they don't fear competition. I'm not concerned about you competing with me with a similar forum. Just the opposite. I hope you are a part of the Forum Phorum (where we talk about forums) and we can work together.

There's a bunch of different "angles" even a marketing forum can have. Just make it look different and I'm sure we can think of ways that we both benefit.

Plus if any of you complain about "free speech"...I'm not stopping you from saying what you want and setting the rules on your own forum. I'll even help you get started. Smile

And there's an endless supply of other niches for your forums.

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with
The Pheeds Kings and Queens of Content VIP Club affiliate program.

Click here to your affiliate link and get started now.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kurt's post:
  • Claude Whitacre
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Why do marketers sell their secrets if they're so good? - by Kurt - 02-29-2020, 07:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A good free stock video site for marketing Kurt 0 2524 06-08-2022, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Kurt
  A good introduction and guide to Google Snippets and how to rank using them Kurt 1 3007 09-17-2021, 10:31 PM
  Conceptual Video is a good example of the IM BS Kurt 1 4992 03-13-2021, 04:31 PM
  A big list of the best subreddits for marketers Kurt 1 4233 02-23-2021, 12:37 AM
  A Good intro to the Skyscraper Technique for Building Links Kurt 0 2968 02-04-2021, 12:26 AM
  Good or Frightening? New program combines text to speach to text and audio editing Kurt 7 11911 08-01-2020, 05:34 AM
  Good for finding aliexpress merch thorton 1 4327 06-19-2020, 03:58 AM
  A really good deal for POD clip art Kurt 2 5805 05-05-2020, 05:35 PM