Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How Do You Trust Someone You Hire?
How do you trust someone to work on your site that you don't know and have to give them your passwords? tia
Like Reply
Assuming you mean giving the 'someone' access to your website, i.e. login credentials to your website's control panel, FTP account, etc.?

In my experience, I only hire people from word-of-mouth. In other words, a trusted colleague's recommendation. The covet is I often employ part-time webmasters (summer and holiday months) from our local college without a trusted colleague's recommendation based on the college's recommendation. That usually entails the college's placement program.

Now, if you are referring to a site like fiver, freelancer, upwork, etc. then I can't offer any experienced advise. However, you can grant temporary credentials to anyone. See your website's host guides for instructions. Personally, I would not trust anyone from those sites without a trusted recommendation from a colleague. But that is just me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeffery's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
I've worked with 3 developers so far. Funny thing, I went through all 3 on the same project (hired and fired 2 before finding one I liked).

I created a separate user for them to access the website (wordpress site).

The first person I hired was off of an outsourcer site. I didn't do enough screening and hired someone completely incompetent. The other 2 were off a different outsourcer website. I cut the list of candidates down to 10 or so and did skype interviews with each. Narrowed that list to 2 and let the client choose which one they wanted.

Their pick didn't work out so I fired them and went with the one I should've chosen in the first place. The guy does good work as long as you provide the copy and at a very reasonable price. He'll support the site for 1 year for free. He lives in India so there is a bit of a time difference if you're in the US. I've had him do an ecom site from scratch, redesign a website for a wedding venue, fix a lot of my scrrew ups with wordpress, and design a logo. He's done enough to earn my trust.

If Kurt doesn't mind and if you still need a designer, let me know and I can share his info with you or anyone in this forum who is looking for a web designer. I don't do many websites for clients at the moment so I don't mind sending work his way. He also does logos dirt cheap.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dkillo's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply