Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Little Red Hen...ever think about easy we really have it?
(02-22-2020, 04:30 AM)Dkillo Wrote: Very cool story Jeffery.

Sounds like Grandma wasn't playing around when those miners came to visit.

I like hearing stories about all the things people did in earlier times to raise money.  Very creative entrepreneurial minds to say the least.
Me too.

Grandma and Grandpa were full blooded Greeks, so my mother was also a full blooded Greek.

My aunts would tell stories of their hard life growing up. The house was next to railroad tracks and the only train was the coal companies that carried coal to a coal plant. Couple times a day that train slowly went by the house.

The coal company had a business arrangement with grandma. When the train stopped in front of the house and blew the whistle grandma rushed all of her daughters to put on their Sunday dresses, made out of gunny sacks, and literally leashed them to the clothesline.

Typically, two or three business men debarked the train for lunch at grandma's boarding house. No shotgun - it sat in a nearby hiding place. The business men had a clear view of the girls.

One day the train stopped and a dozen or so business men sat down for lunch. Fried chicken no possum, lol.

One of the businessmen was a big shot as grandma called him. He politely asked grandma if he could be served by the young lady 'fourth from the left'.. Aunt Bertha.

Long story short, the businessman spent weeks courting Aunt Bertha (grandmas way) and ended up marrying Aunt Bertha.

Before my teen years I spent another summer at their home in the big city. Aunt Bertha was still getting used to electricity, running water, indoor toilets and telephones, lol.

My new uncle became a father figure to me. He loved chess and taught me how to play. He taught me how to do math and more importantly how it applied to business.

I taught him how to hunt and fish.

One day he asked me something like.. "Knowing what you have learnt about chess and business math and knowing what you know about hunting and fishing - how can you make money?"

Being a young'un I said "Fishing worms and flies!"

He looked at me like I lost my mind and replied "Elaborate please."

I said "You and your friends love to fish on the weekends and your always sending your gardener to fetch worms. There must be money in that since not everyone has access to fishing worms?"

Long story short.. I own three worm farms that have kept my plate full of fish for years. Smile
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Little Red Hen...ever think about easy we really have it? - by Jeffery - 02-22-2020, 06:26 PM