Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Becoming the "Expert"
No one wants to buy from people that are guessing or otherwise don't know what they are talking about. People that make it big, in all areas of business and life, typically are known for their expertise. That doesn't mean they know everything but it means that they are perceived as someone with the qualities and knowledge that can provide helpful and valuable products or services.

One key, in building our perceived expertise, is that almost all of the "gurus" are prolific. They many books, courses, software programs, workshops, etc. Think of someone like Mike Filsaime--putting out stuff for 15-20 years pretty much non-stop. But look outside the IM arena and look at Microsoft or Dr. Phil or Oprah. They put out a bunch of stuff. To the average person, anyone who puts out book after book after book MUST be smart even if the quality sucks. 

Another is that they seem to be everywhere. Gary V, for example, is on all the social media platforms many times a day, email, blog, speeches, podcasts, etc. etc. Gary is at least partially known as the go to guy simply because he is everywhere. 

Of course there are gurus types that are just the opposite such as the creator of the Warrior Forum. No one, that i know of, every met him in person. Some of us had email conversations but that was it. He didn't post his pic everywhere and wasn't on all the social media (of his day). But he's an exception. Most people who make it big follow both keys above.

What would you add?

Do you agree with this post? If not, convince me I'm wrong!
[-] The following 1 user Likes 10x's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
I'm old school in terms of defining a person as an expert, though I get what you mean, so I'll just call them "successful marketers" and they all have one thing in common which is the ability to "Reach out and touch someone" in ways that people will tend to market the "successful marketers" as so called experts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeffery's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(07-01-2020, 09:52 AM)Jeffery Wrote: I'm old school in terms of defining a person as an expert, though I get what you mean, so I'll just call them "successful marketers" and they all have one thing in common which is the ability to "Reach out and touch someone" in ways that people will tend to market the "successful marketers" as so called experts.

I used to be old school too but have tried to break the habit because it was holding me back. I was introduced to levels of expertise. For example, #1 represents a certain level of knowledge and #10 represents mastery and the ability to help others. 

If I'm at level #1 at cleaning viruses out of PCs, designing websites, email marketing, etc. that means I know more than people at level #0 (no knowledge). So, I can legitimately go and help those folks with those tasks or teach them how to do it themselves.

Where the problem comes is when I'm at a low level but I claim to be at a higher level. That's fake it till you make it or lying. I may not be Peter Norton but I can get your PC secure better than billions of other people on the planet. Isn't that worth something?
[-] The following 1 user Likes 10x's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(07-01-2020, 09:58 AM)10x Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 09:52 AM)Jeffery Wrote: I'm old school in terms of defining a person as an expert, though I get what you mean, so I'll just call them "successful marketers" and they all have one thing in common which is the ability to "Reach out and touch someone" in ways that people will tend to market the "successful marketers" as so called experts.

I used to be old school too but have tried to break the habit because it was holding me back. I was introduced to levels of expertise. For example, #1 represents a certain level of knowledge and #10 represents mastery and the ability to help others. 

If I'm at level #1 at cleaning viruses out of PCs, designing websites, email marketing, etc. that means I know more than people at level #0 (no knowledge). So, I can legitimately go and help those folks with those tasks or teach them how to do it themselves.

Where the problem comes is when I'm at a low level but I claim to be at a higher level. That's fake it till you make it or lying. I may not be Peter Norton but I can get your PC secure better than billions of other people on the planet. Isn't that worth something?

It is worth a lot in my opinion. I relate what you said to how people in forums represent themselves as being experts. Let's say one person, the Original Poster (OP),  represents themself as a level 10 and other people that reresent themselves below level 10 know for a fact that what the OP said was in fact.. total BS. That in itself is what I call the OP "Fake it until you make it" and unfortunately if the OP is not called-out then they typically become the forum expert.

However, if they are called out like the member "Sparrow" who represented himself as an expert and by Warrior Forum endorsement was called out by Mike, wherein simple sleuth techniques proved without a doubt that "Sparrow" engaged the community (and certain news outlets) in misleading and harmful "expertise" then the community at large realizes that "Sparrow" was "Fake it until you make it" and consequently tarnished the WF Reputation.

In that case, both members had a level of expertise. It's just that one person's expertise was factual and the other person's expertise could not stand to the test.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeffery's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply

Let's say you were stuck and sinking in quicksand. I happen to walk by and offer you a hand. Do you care about my emergency training or do you accept my hand? IOW can you help someone or not? Even if you can't help somone directly you can still offer them advice on what to look for just as I could run for help if I can't get you out of the quicksand myself.

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with
The Pheeds Kings and Queens of Content VIP Club affiliate program.

Click here to your affiliate link and get started now.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kurt's post:
  • 10x
Like Reply
(07-01-2020, 04:49 PM)Kurt Wrote:

Let's say you were stuck and sinking in quicksand. I happen to walk by and offer you a hand. Do you care about my emergency training or do you accept my hand? IOW can you help someone or not? Even if you can't help somone directly you can still offer them advice on what to look for just as I could run for help if I can't get you out of the quicksand myself.
Thank you for that response Kurt and others...being new to this community, it is reassuring to see that ehics and integrity is such a big part and that helping each other is where it is at. There are many in this industry , who have been bitten and are now shy of taking that leap but thanks to those in this community and others that I belong to ( it has taken some time to learn and avoid the pitfalls), I can truly say: there is light at the end of the tunnel and giving a helping hand is becoming the new norm and the sign of Expertise...how awesome is that! Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like fionadarocha's post:
  • Jeffery, Kurt
Like Reply