Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COVID - How to protect ourselves
Here is a permanent solution that I do for protecting my eyes.

Sealed eyewear. Amazon has the type that fits over eyeglasses and are fog proof. Price range, $10.00 to $15.00 up to $60.00. The more expensive ones are usually sold-out.

Also, SCUBA diver masks serve the same purpose.
Like Reply

Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWJHSVss10

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with
The Pheeds Kings and Queens of Content VIP Club affiliate program.

Click here to your affiliate link and get started now.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kurt's post:
  • Jeffery
Like Reply
Hoping Llamas Will Become Coronavirus Heroes
The New York Times May 06, 2020

Just read this amazing article wherein there are lab experiments that have neutralized coronavirus and other infections.

Excerpt:
A llama was injected with a series of virus studies involving both SARS and MERS. Finding that her antibodies staved off those infections, the scientists posited that those same antibodies could also neutralize the new virus that causes Covid-19. They were right, and published their results Tuesday in the journal Cell.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeffery's post:
  • JoeSpirit, Kurt
Like Reply
A 1-Minute Face Mask DIY That Requires Zero Sewing
A step-by-step guide.

Excerpt:
While N95 masks are in limited supply and should be reserved for medical professionals, you can easily make your own cloth covering at home, which, in combination with those other preventative measures, can help reduce the rate of infection. And you don’t even need a sewing needle.

[Image: No-Sew%20Face%20Mask%20with%20Handkerchi...0Tie-2.png]

https://youtu.be/QQ-7dM-hqic

YouTube

Kurt's post about the cigerette lighter trick gave me this idea though I would not use it at a Bank's ATM machine. Well, maybe I would. Rolleyes Jusr remove the rubber end piece from the dart and fire at point blank range. And if you hear sirens.. run Forest run!  Idea

[Image: suction-cup-gun.jpg?fit=640%2C472]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeffery's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
I watched a video showing how to make a mask from a t-shirt that was similar to this one. I suppose you could do the same with a bandana.

Doesn't look like it seals the mask around the bridge of the nose though.

That dart pistol now, at a bank? While wearing a mask?  Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes JoeSpirit's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(05-13-2020, 01:04 PM)JoeSpirit Wrote: That dart pistol now, at a bank? While wearing a mask? 
Just remember to leave your car right next to the bank's door and leave the motor running...

Enjoy Generous Commissions up to 60%, find ready-to-use swipe files and more with

[-] The following 2 users Like Kurt's post:
  • Jeffery, JoeSpirit
Like Reply
What a great idea...dogs to the rescue again. If they can detect COVID they'll be able to check hundreds of people an hour. And it will only cost a pat on the head and a tennis ball.

This could really be a game changer...
Quote:A new program at the University of Pennsylvania's School of Veterinary Medicine (Penn Vet) is putting noses to the grindstone for disease detection. Researchers are working with dogs to see if the canines' superior sniffers can help with early detection of COVID-19 in humans.
https://www.livescience.com/dogs-smell-covid-19.html

[-] The following 2 users Like Kurt's post:
  • Jeffery, JoeSpirit
Like Reply
(05-15-2020, 06:20 AM)Kurt Wrote: This could really be a game changer...

That's interesting. I wasn't aware that they were training dogs to detect cancers.

I always thought that dogs having the ability to identify something wrong was mostly because they know their human so well that they just recognize a change in that human's body.
Like Reply
(05-15-2020, 12:48 PM)JoeSpirit Wrote:
(05-15-2020, 06:20 AM)Kurt Wrote: This could really be a game changer...

That's interesting. I wasn't aware that they were training dogs to detect cancers.

I always thought that dogs having the ability to identify something wrong was mostly because they know their human so well that they just recognize a change in that human's body.

Yeah dogs can do all sorts of detection. Some can detect when a person's blood sugar is getting too high and warn people with epilepsy when they're going to have a seizure.

Rats often have similar sense of smell abilities and are cheaper to keep. But they creep too many people out.

In theory you could have dogs and/or rats sniff everyone that enters a building and have an accurate test for COVID instantly. If you have COVID you can't enter. I think the training time would be the biggest obstacle if they can do it.

Like Reply
One thing I think is really missing from all the COVID discussions is the concept of a "contingency plan".  No matter what we believe shouldn't we have a Plan B?

The Spanish Flu seems to be the best example from history we have. COVID could well be different, which mean it could be not as bad or a lot worse.

I don't want to preach, but I believe we should become preppers for a few months. There's a chance things will get bad (or worse) again.

This doesn't mean to hoard things. But for the next few months if I see there's plenty of flour, TP, beans, disinfectants, masks, etc on the store shelves I'm going to buy them.

IMO we should stock up as best we can without hoarding and stressing the supply lines.

If things go well in the future we'll lose a lot of closet and other storage space. If things go bad we'll be in better shape to deal with things.

These are all things we'll use eventually and we should look at the shortages of the past few months and plan for them again.

• 10x
Like Reply
(05-18-2020, 09:03 PM)Kurt Wrote: One thing I think is really missing from all the COVID discussions is the concept of a "contingency plan".  No matter what we believe shouldn't we have a Plan B?

The Spanish Flu seems to be the best example from history we have. COVID could well be different, which mean it could be not as bad or a lot worse.

I don't want to preach, but I believe we should become preppers for a few months. There's a chance things will get bad (or worse) again.

This doesn't mean to hoard things. But for the next few months if I see there's plenty of flour, TP, beans, disinfectants, masks, etc on the store shelves I'm going to buy them.

IMO we should stock up as best we can without hoarding and stressing the supply lines.

If things go well in the future we'll lose a lot of closet and other storage space. If things go bad we'll be in better shape to deal with things.

These are all things we'll use eventually and we should look at the shortages of the past few months and plan for them again.

Makes sense to me. As long as people stock in items that last.

Some reports I heard were about mass purchases of meats. That's kind've okay with me if they have a freezer and habitually buy in bulk. But it's crazy to fill a fridge up with something that won't be good a week after the purchase.
Like Reply
(05-19-2020, 12:46 PM)JoeSpirit Wrote: Makes sense to me. As long as people stock in items that last. Some reports I heard were about mass purchases of meats. That's kind've okay with me if they have a freezer and habitually buy in bulk. But it's crazy to fill a fridge up with something that won't be good a week after the purchase.

We should have a pretty good idea of possible shortages if there's a second/third wave. I think it's wise to stock up on things you'll use anyway and non-parishables.

Like Reply
(05-20-2020, 08:22 AM)Kurt Wrote: We should have a pretty good idea of possible shortages if there's a second/third wave. I think it's wise to stock up on things you'll use anyway and non-parishables.
I agree with that.

This morning's news had a spot on how farmers are struggling because their major customers are restaurants and schools.

I do remember a month or so back a report that the food supply chain was in good shape but the hoarders were creating a delivery problem in that it was tough to keep up with the sudden demand.
Like Reply
How Could the CDC Make That Mistake?
May 21, 2020

Excerpt:
The government’s disease-fighting agency is conflating viral and antibody tests, compromising a few crucial metrics that governors depend on to reopen their economies. Pennsylvania, Georgia, Texas, and other states are doing the same.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is conflating the results of two different types of coronavirus tests, distorting several important metrics and providing the country with an inaccurate picture of the state of the pandemic.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Ashish Jha, the K. T. Li Professor of Global Health at Harvard and the director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told us when we described what the CDC was doing. “How could the CDC make that mistake? This is a mess.”
~ ~ ~
Wow, surprising? All of the data we have been discussing was not accurate. A reason why some people claim the lockdowns across the country was based on data that did not jive with facts?
Like Reply
A little while back I read a study that suggested the COVID spread most efficiently at 47F. Have any of you seen anything like this? It's accepted that COVID doesn't like warm/humid places. I wonder if there's a map that details COVID along with temperatures?

It's just a theory but could COVID be a bigger factor in colder areas? I'm not sure at all but it would explain a few things.

Like Reply
Googled: Images for map that details COVID along with temperatures?

Digital thermometer data may provide insight into COVID-19
[Image: Heat%20map.png]

This from WHO "Myths"
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: Myth busters

COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates

The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by maintaining physical distance of at least 1 metre from others and frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

Cold weather and snow CANNOT kill the new coronavirus.

There is no reason to believe that cold weather can kill the new coronavirus or other diseases. The normal human body temperature remains around 36.5°C to 37°C, regardless of the external temperature or weather. The most effective way to protect yourself against the new coronavirus is by frequently cleaning your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water.
  • Kurt
Like Reply
Quote:    'Jeffery' pid='1331' dateline='1590393603'

Thanks. I actually posted a link to Kinsa above but I meant the weather temperature. Flu season is the fall/winter when outdoor temps are lower. I'm wondering if COVID isn't affected by the outdoor temp?

It seems COVID likes temps of 47f. I'm guessing the farther the temp is away from 47f the harder it is for it to spread. It also like things dry and arid. It true it would seem areas with hot humid weather may have less spread than areas with cooler, dryer weather.

Why did NY get hit harder than CA? One reason may be population density. Another possible factor may be weather. CA is warmer than NY and CA was unusually wet this winter. This could have impacted the spread of COVID as well as kept people indoors more than normal.

We don't have enough info to know for sure but I'd like to see some COVID data correlated with weather data.
    here is no reason to believe that cold weather can kill the new coronavirus or other diseases. The normal human body temperature remains around 36.5°C to 37°C, regardless of the external temperature or weather. The most effective way to protect yourself against the new coronavirus is by frequently cleaning your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water.

These are valid points. But there's a difference between "kill" and not being "optimal".

Like Reply
I'm not sure I understand that map correctly.

Viruses normally like cold weather and dislike hot. I don't know if that's true for this Corona but look at the numbers in Florida. They started opening up early in spite of criticism and those numbers are down, suggesting that warmer weather fights against the spread of Corona.
Like Reply
(05-26-2020, 12:34 PM)JoeSpirit Wrote: I'm not sure I understand that map correctly.

Viruses normally like cold weather and dislike hot. I don't know if that's true for this Corona but look at the numbers in Florida. They started opening up early in spite of criticism and those numbers are down, suggesting that warmer weather fights against the spread of Corona.

Actually, it takes 1 to 2 weeks for a person to show symptons, so moving forward into that time-frame is when the data will be more accurate. Yesterday, I believe it was N.C. reported a insignificant decrease and again that was after the 1 to 2 week timeframe.

At the same time the report was released the news showed huge crowds of people in N.C. and S.C. getting together for Memorial Day and very few wore masks. People on some of the beaches (not all of the beaches) were shoulder to shoulder in most places. Mid June will tell the story and that happens to be the time for the Second Wave if I'm not wrong?

(05-25-2020, 07:22 PM)Kurt Wrote:

Thanks. I actually posted a link to Kinsa above but I meant the weather temperature. Flu season is the fall/winter when outdoor temps are lower. I'm wondering if COVID isn't affected by the outdoor temp?

It seems COVID likes temps of 47f. I'm guessing the farther the temp is away from 47f the harder it is for it to spread. It also like things dry and arid. It true it would seem areas with hot humid weather may have less spread than areas with cooler, dryer weather.

Why did NY get hit harder than CA? One reason may be population density. Another possible factor may be weather. CA is warmer than NY and CA was unusually wet this winter. This could have impacted the spread of COVID as well as kept people indoors more than normal.

We don't have enough info to know for sure but I'd like to see some COVID data correlated with weather data.

here is no reason to believe that cold weather can kill the new coronavirus or other diseases. The normal human body temperature remains around 36.5°C to 37°C, regardless of the external temperature or weather. The most effective way to protect yourself against the new coronavirus is by frequently cleaning your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or washing them with soap and water.

These are valid points. But there's a difference between "kill" and not being "optimal".

My take on it is the virus will mutate resulting in a new coronavirus and the affects may be the same as the first virus, but I doubt it. I believe the New Virus will eventually adapt to temps resulting in a new pandemic. Unfortunately, we probably won't be prepared for it. Hope I am wrong, but I have learned over the years to plan for the worse before the worse plans for you.
Like Reply
This is a notice from my town. We are the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park which is the 3rd most visited national park in the US. In a normal year we'd get over 3 million tourists and they all stop at just a few places in town. Even though we're small and tucked away in the mountains we get people here from all over the world.
Quote:Farmer’s Market To Open On June 4th With Some New And Important ChangesVickie Dennis, manager of the Estes Park Farmer’s Market is pleased to tell us that she’s received the final approval to have the Farmers Market here in Estes Park this summer! She said, “It was a long road to get this organized and put together with everyone’s utmost safety in mind, and now I’m ready to get the word out and get everyone prepared for this summer’s Farmers Market!”
The first Farmer’s Market of 2020 will be held on Thursday, June 4th at their new location, the Estes Park Visitors Center. They will still have at least 30 vendors but these vendors will only be produce and food vendors at this time. Nothing else. All of the missing vendors' information will be available from Vickie so customers may still contact them.
Vickie’s business, Flowers for 3 Greenhouse are not allowed to sell any plants at this time, however, they will be on hand to take orders to bring flowers to you the following week.
Vickie said, “We are trying to do whatever we can to be the best we can for the most amazing community ever!
Masks will be required to enter the market and foot traffic will be one way only. Signage will be present to remind customers to please stay six feet apart, following all social distancing regulations. All market rules are mandated by the town. These new rules and restrictions will be enforced for the safety of all concerned. Patience and understanding will be greatly appreciated, as we are all in this together. Let’s focus on making this summer’s Farmer’s Market a huge success and fun and delicious for all!

• Jeffery
Like Reply
(05-27-2020, 06:11 PM)Kurt Wrote: This is a notice from my town. We are the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park which is the 3rd most visited national park in the US. In a normal year we'd get over 3 million tourists and they all stop at just a few places in town. Even though we're small and tucked away in the mountains we get people here from all over the world.

Quote:Farmer’s Market To Open On June 4th With Some New And Important ChangesVickie Dennis, manager of the Estes Park Farmer’s Market is pleased to tell us that she’s received the final approval to have the Farmers Market here in Estes Park this summer! She said, “It was a long road to get this organized and put together with everyone’s utmost safety in mind, and now I’m ready to get the word out and get everyone prepared for this summer’s Farmers Market!”
The first Farmer’s Market of 2020 will be held on Thursday, June 4th at their new location, the Estes Park Visitors Center. They will still have at least 30 vendors but these vendors will only be produce and food vendors at this time. Nothing else. All of the missing vendors' information will be available from Vickie so customers may still contact them.
Vickie’s business, Flowers for 3 Greenhouse are not allowed to sell any plants at this time, however, they will be on hand to take orders to bring flowers to you the following week.
Vickie said, “We are trying to do whatever we can to be the best we can for the most amazing community ever!
Masks will be required to enter the market and foot traffic will be one way only. Signage will be present to remind customers to please stay six feet apart, following all social distancing regulations. All market rules are mandated by the town. These new rules and restrictions will be enforced for the safety of all concerned. Patience and understanding will be greatly appreciated, as we are all in this together. Let’s focus on making this summer’s Farmer’s Market a huge success and fun and delicious for all!

If I was a digital marketer looking for a way(s) to capitalize on the event there are a few things I would do:

First, research.
Given that there are only 8 days to go there is little to no chance for long-term preperation. So, I would dismiss launching an online campaign to promote the event.
On the flip side, if there was a minimum of six months left to go there is a good chance to prepare.

Lets look at other arrributes pertaining to June 4th 20202 and see if a digital marketer can combine those attributes with the event and capitalize. Note: Bold signifys Significant:

June 4th 2020 is ...
  • 156th day of the year.
  • There are then 210 days left in 2020.
  • 23rd Thursday of 2020.
  • 77th day of Spring.
  • There are 17 days left till Summer.
Birthstone for this day:
  • Alexandrite
  • Pearl
  • Moonstone

June 4, Zodiac Sign:
  • Gemini
June 4, 2020 United States Holidays & Popular Observances
  • National Cheese Day
  • International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression
  • Birthday of C. G. E. Mannerheim / Flag Day of Finnish Defence Forces (Puolustusvoimain lippujuhlan päivä / C. G. E. Mannerheimin syntymäpäivä) - Finland
  • Estonian Flag Day (Eesti lipu päev) - Estonia
Conclusion:
One significant attribute, yet only applicable if a vendor sales cheese, National Cheese Day.

Source: Win Calendar

Next, I would research local events that are happening on the same day/evening. Example, since this is a limited event there may be in-town events at taverns, resorts, etc. with a billard, dart competitions, etc. wherein PoD tees and mugs outside the entrance of the Farmer’s Market could be purchased by vedors to advertise the events and by Farmers Market customers to the effect "I Survived The Rocky Mountain Farmer's Market." (lame, but I am afterall... lame). Rolleyes
Like Reply
Maybe a quick assembly of a book about different cheeses and their descriptions.
Like Reply
As it turns out dogs have been proven to be able to sniff out COVID.
https://www.ecowatch.com/dogs-smell-covi...05814.html

(Just a reminder this is the off topic "protection" thread. The COVID marketing thread is in the Cash Cow forum.)
https://pheeds.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=211

• JoeSpirit
Like Reply
Just a theory...a big reason flu season is in winter is because we use heaters indoors which dries out the air. Viruses like cold dry air. Even though indoor temp is fairly constant, we use AC in summer and heaters in winter.

Wasn't it really rainey in CA this past winter? It's warmer and humid in the SE. A few Colorado mountain towns got hit pretty hard. They are tourist destinations but they are also cool/cold.

Above I posted about the optimal temp for COVID appears to be 47f. I'm guessing the further the temp is away from 47f the harder it is for COVID to survive. This doesn't mean kill it, only weaken it.

It's also shown recently that you probably need over 1000 COVID particles to become infected as your immune system can handle lower numbers. I think this is an underrated concept. Is it possible some folks get 1100 particles and others 3000 particles? Is it possible that warmer, wetter weather reduces (not kill) the number of particles which is why we see that pattern of COVID that we do? Can we turn up the heat and use humidifiers?

I'm sure there are plenty of other factors...but I haven't seen this discussed much and it does explain quite a bit.

Also, the 1000 particle theory supports wearing a mask that "only" filters 70% of the particles. This could be the difference between inhaling 2000 particles which you may not be able to handle or only 600 particles which you can...and this doesn't factor in the benefit of blocking the particles you may be spreading.

Like Reply
(05-18-2020, 08:49 PM)Kurt Wrote: Yeah dogs can do all sorts of detection. Some can detect when a person's blood sugar is getting too high and warn people with epilepsy when they're going to have a seizure. Rats often have similar sense of smell abilities and are cheaper to keep. But they creep too many people out. In theory you could have dogs and/or rats sniff everyone that enters a building and have an accurate test for COVID instantly. If you have COVID you can't enter. I think the training time would be the biggest obstacle if they can do it.
(05-28-2020, 01:44 PM)Kurt Wrote: As it turns out dogs have been proven to be able to sniff out COVID. ?https://www.ecowatch.com/dogs-smell-covi...05814.html

Rats can detect some types of cancer and are used to sniff out land mines. I know their noses are about as sensitive as a dog. Dogs and rats are "instant" detection and could be used to quickly test crowds like people entering a night club or stadium. If they detect COVID the person is pulled aside and tested medically.

I know this sounds a little strange, but there's some good science to back it up. Rats are cheap to feed and don't take up much room. If they can be trained to detect COVID like they do cancer why not train a lot of them?

Like Reply
[Image: old-norm-new-norm-girl-walking-a-dog-rat.png?raw=1]
  • Kurt
Like Reply
Here are some ways to stop your glasses from fogging up when you wear a mask:
  • Use a mask with a nose bridge
  • Put your glasses over your mask
  • Use soap and water The idea is that the soap leaves behind a film that prevents glasses from fogging. It’s best to avoid soaps that are made with lotion.
  • Put a tissue on the inside of the mask
  • Buy a commercial anti-fogging product
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeffery's post:
  • 10x, Kurt
Like Reply
Weird question.

I'm not a mouth breather but apparently I do sleep with my mouth open at least some of the time.

But, I've noticed lately when wearing a mask, I revert to mouth breathing more often than not.

Anyone else have that?
[-] The following 1 user Likes 10x's post:
  • Kurt
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 09:31 AM)10x Wrote: Weird question.

I'm not a mouth breather but apparently I do sleep with my mouth open at least some of the time.

But, I've noticed lately when wearing a mask, I revert to mouth breathing more often than not.

Anyone else have that?

I haven't noticed...I'm naturally a "warm" person and like it cooler than most. The masks sometimes heat me up to the point I'm sweating a little after about 10-20 minutes in one. I just hope people don't think I'm sweating because I have a fever. LOOK AT ME WHEN I FIRST ENTER IN THE STORE!!! Wink

• 10x
Like Reply
I saw a quick and interesting way to kind of determine how good your face covering is. Put on the covering and then try to blow out a candle. You shouldn't be able to. If you can, you may want to change brands or types.
Like Reply
Big Grin 
Trump and Melina test Positive for Corona Virus

Live updates: Biden tests negative for coronavirus; Trump experiencing ‘mild symptoms’ after positive test
Excerpts minus anything political...
Oct. 2, 2020 at 11:45 a.m. CDT

President Trump is experiencing “mild symptoms” after he and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for the coronavirus, White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told reporters Friday. The first lady said on Twitter that she, too, has “mild symptoms” but is “overall feeling good.”

Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s campaign announced that he and his wife, Jill Biden, have both tested negative for the coronavirus.

With 32 days until the election …
  • The president’s infection has upended the campaign. A fundraiser in Washington and a rally in Florida were scrapped, and Trump plans to remain in self-isolation at the White House.
  • Democratic nominee Joe Biden wished Trump and his wife a “swift recovery” in a morning tweet. He is scheduled to campaign in Michigan on Friday.
  • Vice President Pence and his wife have tested negative, according to a spokesman.
  • Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), who attended Trump’s announcement Saturday of his Supreme Court pick, said he has tested positive for the coronavirus and will self-isolate for 10 days.
  • Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel disclosed that she had tested positive.

In the minute it took me to write this post.. someone died of Covid 19. RIP.
Like Reply