Pheeds.com
Life Before or After the Net? - Printable Version

+- Pheeds.com (https://pheeds.com/phorum)
+-- Forum: Phorums (https://pheeds.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Forum: Water Trough - Off Topic (https://pheeds.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Life Before or After the Net? (/showthread.php?tid=80)

Life Before or After the Net? - Kurt - 01-31-2020

I'm guessing when I and many others around my age die we'll have lived about half our lives with the Internet and half without.

People about my age (60)...and everyone else, which time do you think was better BI or AI?

RE: Life Before or After the Net? - Jeffery - 02-24-2020

(01-31-2020, 10:06 PM)Kurt Wrote: I'm guessing when I and many others around my age die we'll have lived about half our lives with the Internet and half without.

People about my age (60)...and everyone else, which time do you think was better BI or AI?
I voted AI. Why? Online pizza order and delivery. Rolleyes

Almost voted BI. Why? Before I married - meeting hot chicks at the pizza pub.  Rolleyes

RE: Life Before or After the Net? - Kurt - 03-07-2020

When we old people were young there were only 4 TV channels so we all grew up watching the same things. Then cable, the Net and streaming and now we all watch different things. I feel the entertainment and info are a lot better now but I we're missing the shared culture more than we think.

RE: Life Before or After the Net? - Jeffery - 03-08-2020

Growing up, in the south, we didn't watch T.V. too much because we didn't have a T.V. until about 1967. By the time we did have a T.V. I was more interested in spending my free time reading, playing sports, checkers and chess.

In high school school my teachers described me as a geek with a jocks attitude, lol. I had no idea what they meant at the time, but it worked out for me in a positive way. In college I was described as a jock with a geeks attitude. Complete turn-around.

Then came the age of the internet. By this time I was half around the world - a long way from my high school and college teachers. We stayed in touch over the years via telephone. We started using email to keep in touch.

In a way email provided a means for the "past" to communicate with the "future" and I made that comment to all of them in an email. They all agreed.

Maybe that means something. I don't know.

RE: Life Before or After the Net? - Claire Koch - 03-09-2020

Before the internet I was always bored out my skull.. My sister and I were forever NOW WHAT?
What a time that was. And we had T.V but saturdays were cowboy movies. Oh I got so sick of those.

I just asked my mom when she got her first t.v she said 1948 (shes 82). What a hoot that t.v must
have been lol. I can remember when I was little the best thing to watch was comedy and news. That
is all they had but the comedy was clean not like today. My grandfather loved technology he had to
have a T.V (my moms dad) and Dad's Family had one too. My grandmother on my Dads side loved
comedy.

Do you remember tuning in t.v's. I was the kid so it was always, Claire go fix the t.v Claire the t.v
tuner.

In the 90's my Dad bought a couple kinds of portable t.v's to use at his job. They barely worked.
sold them on ebay for about $50 ea.

On a side note: Watched an old "ellen" video the other day
and boy was she funny when she was young. The peanut thing haha. See youtube for that one.

I digress.

Back then we had no good way to earn a living if we had no job. To start a business was nearly
impossible. Mailorder?

Telephones were so nuts. We had a party line with my next door neighor. Excuse me may i ask,
How much longer will you be? Ok thanks so much. Every darn phone call. Payphones were a
virus waiting to happen and usually filthy. How did we kids survive the outside adventures on our
bikes without cellphones. so yeah.

Bad before good now. The alternatives are hard to looks past. NEVER BORED AI! if you stream
you can watch great movies for the rest of your life if you have nothing better to do and the
money making opportunity only is OUT OF THIS WORLD.

Plus you now have great working smartphones and you carry games in your pocket. No more arcade hopping! Defo AI

The only good thing about before the internet was that you took time to think things through. I
don't do much of that anymore, or read.