MainlandMainland is usually the continental part of a region, as opposed to the islands nearby. Sometimes the residents are called "the Mainlanders". As a result of the usually larger area of mainland, there are significantly more mainlanders than islanders, and mainlander culture and politics sometimes threaten to dominate those of the islands.
Prominent Mainlands include:
- Mainland China, as opposed to the areas of Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau (but including the island of Hainan)
- Mainland Canada, as opposed to Newfoundland
- Continental United States ("The Mainland"), as opposed to Hawaii and Alaska
- Mainland Japan and Honshu, as opposed to the rest of the Japanese islands.
- Mainland Australia, as opposed to Tasmania
- the Nova Scotian mainland, as opposed to Cape Breton Island