List of kidnappingsThis is a list of kidnappings.
|Table of contents|
2 Faked kidnappings
3 Assumed kidnap conspiracy that turned out to be fake
4 Other kidnappings
5 Suspected kidnappings
Modern kidnappings of celebrities' relatives
Among a recent series of crimes, there has been one crime whose incidence has risen sharply lately. That area is the kidnapping of famous people's relatives. This is because the criminals believe that celebrities have a lot of money to spend in order to ransom their loved ones.
Among the famous people and their relatives affected by these crimes:
- Beatriz Adriana. The Mexican actress's son was kidnapped and found dead in Tijuana. While rumors abounded that her son's death was due to a drug debt, no evidence of that was ever found.
- Julio Iglesias's father was kidnapped in 1985. Found well and alive.
- Julio Cesar Chavez received threatening calls, saying his sons would be kidnapped.
- Jorge Campos (soccer player). His father was kidnapped and later found alive in Acapulco, Mexico.
- Alejandro Fernandez his brother was kidnapped (see Vicente Fernandez).
- Vicente Fernandez. The famous Mexican singer's son, Vicente Fernandez Jr, was kidnapped and later released alive.
- John Paul Getty III, kidnapped in Italy in 1973. His grandfather, the then world?s richest man, American multi-billionaire oil tycoon, J. Paul Getty, refused to pay his $3 million ransom until one of the boy's ears was cut off and sent to a newspaper.
- Charles Lindbergh. The aviator's two-year old son, Charles Jr., was kidnapped in 1932, and was killed.
- William Randolph Hearst. His granddaughter Patty Hearst was kidnapped by the SLA in 1974. Her father gave $6 million in food to the poor of the Bay Area as ransom, but she was not released. She became part of her captor's group and was later convicted on bank robbery charges.
- Thalia. The Mexican Diva's sister, the also famous actress Laura Zapata and another unidentified sister, were kidnapped. They were both recently released.
- Laura Zapata (See Thalia).
- Nikoloz Tskitishvili. The basketball player, a star in his home country (Georgia), had strangers call to his house and threaten to kidnap his brother and mother after it became known he signed a million-dollar contract with the NBA's Denver Nuggets. As a consequence, he moved all his family to Denver.
- Johnny Tapia The world boxing champion saw his mother raped and kidnapped when he was 8 years old. He was hiding when he saw that. His mother's body was found on a road days later.
- Alejandra Guzman The Mexican singing diva has received several calls threatening to kidnap her ten year old daughter, because of which she has hired extra security. She always takes her daughter with her on the road.
- Jorge and Juan Born, (1974), scions of the Bunge y Born business were kidnapped in September by the Montoneros and only released after the payment of a $60 million ransom.
- Yuri She was going to be kidnapped, but the plans folded when one of the would be kidnappers left the criminal band that would have committed the act, and told her cousin about the plans.
- Cesar Rosas the wife of the member of Los Lobos was kidnapped on October 23, 1999, and never found again. Gabriel Gomez was accused and sentenced for her kidnapping and murder.
- Victor Li Tzar-kuoi, son of the Hong Kong tycoon, Li Ka shing; kidnapped by Cheung Tze-keung, AKA "Big Spender". He was released after the world record payment of a US$134 million ransom in cash. Cheung was later captured and executed in mainland China in 2000.
- Frank Sinatra's son was kidnapped, released after ransom was paid.
- Veruska Ramirez, former Miss Venezuela, kidnapped and released three hours later, after signing 15 autographs for her captors.
- Susana Gimenez, the Argentine diva's boyfriend's father was kidnapped on January 8, 2004.
This crime is flourishing in poor countries, where the economic situation can drive people to desperate measures.
Assumed kidnap conspiracy that turned out to be fake