Dwight Presbyterian MissionDwight Presbyterian Mission was the first American mission to the Indians established west of the Mississippi River.
The mission was founded in 1821 near Russellville, Arkansas by Cephas Washburn. It was named for Rev. Timothy Dwight, president of Yale College and a corporate member of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions.
The mission was later moved to a new location near Sallisaw, Oklahoma at the request of the Cherokee tribe. Its primary mission was to provide an education to Cherokee children and expose them to the Christian religion.
Historical markers exist at the original location in Arkansas.