50This article is about the year. For the number 50, see Fifty.
- Londinium is founded by the Romans, taking over as capital of the Roman Empire, from Colchester.
- Roman Emperor Claudius makes Agrippa II governor of Chalcis.
- Cologne is raised to the status of city.
- Exeter is founded as Isca Dumnoniorum.
- Tripontium (near modern Rugby) is founded.
- The Roman fort of Manduessedum (near modern Atherstone) is founded (approximate date).
- Pedanius Dioscorides describes the medical applications of plants in De Materia Medica
- Caratacus is captured after the Roman victory at the Battle of Caer Caradock.
- Pamphilus of Alexandria writes a poetic lexicon.
- Hero of Alexandria invents a steam turbine (possible date).
- The Iazyges occupy the plains to the east of the Theiss.