Events and Trends
- French Revolution (1789 - 1799). It is considered to have effectively ended on November 9, 1799 when a successful coup d'état places Napoléon Bonaparte in control of France.
- French inventor Claude Chappe first demonstrates a practical semaphore system (1792). Use of the system will eventually expand to include the whole of France. This is considered to be the first practical telecommunications system.
- King Louis XVI (France)
- Maximilien Robespierre (France)
- King George III (Great Britain)
- Emperor Leopold II (Holy Roman Empire)
- Emperor Francis II (Holy Roman Empire)
- Pope Pius VI
- Empress Catherine II (Russia)
- Emperor Paul (Russia)
- President George Washington (United States)
- President John Adams (United States)